Monday, April 13, 2020

Suunto MC-2 G Mirror Compass

Disclaimer: My product reviews are based on my use of these products on a personal and commercial level. I'm an outfitter and guide, as well as an avid outdoorsman. I AM NOT sponsored or given these products in order to write a favorable review. This product was purchased with my money and used for my personal benefit, as well as in the process of conducting my business operations. It's a fair and honest review....enjoy! 


Suunto MC-2G Compass
OK, I admit it. I love land navigation! From my early days in the Boy Scouts to my years spent as a U.S. Army infantry soldier, I've had a lot of practice and real world experience in the art of land navigation. It's always been an interesting science to me, and I enjoy doing it whenever possible. It's also very handy knowledge to have, especially when you spend lots of time all alone on off-trail pursuits. In fact, it becomes a necessity. You either get very good at it, very quickly, or you become a statistic. Simple as that.

As I stated, I'm an avid outdoorsman and guide. I guide fishing, hunting and hiking trips. Most of that time is spent off-trail. After all, the best fishing and hunting spots are not located on trails. In order to be successful and safe in that line of work, navigation skills are a must. You not only have your own safety at risk, but your clients' as well. Those are not responsibilities that I take lightly. In order to conduct my trips in the safest manner possible, I depend on some of the best gear available in today's market. And when it comes to my choice of compass, I couldn't be happier than I am with my Suunto MC-2G.

The Suunto MC-2G is a mirrored sighting compass, which obviously means that it has a mirror on it to aid in sighting your bearings. This is a good addition, but the main reason I want a mirror compass is simply for first aid scenarios, i.e. to get something out of my eye, check out a cut to my face, etc. It can also be used for signalling purposes if need be. When folded shut, the mirror covers the actual compass dial and adds a layer of protection that is also nice to have. It weighs a little more than a typical baseplate compass, but it's worth it in my opinion.

The compass has a global needle, which means it can be used anywhere in the world, not just in North America. The needle can function at tilts up to 20 degrees, which makes it useful in other parts of the world as well where the magnetic pull would render typical compass needles useless due to them dragging and sticking within the dial. It also dampens quickly for faster readings on the go.

The compass has an adjustable declination which is an absolute necessity in my opinion. Many, many, many people have become hopelessly lost because they either forgot to account for declination or didn't know how to do it. This feature takes that extra step out of the equation. It also speeds up the learning curve for new navigators. Priceless in my opinion.

It also comes with a clinometer for figuring slope if you're in an area where avalanches are a concern. Another nice feature to have when you need it, and certainly not a common feature on most compasses. A well thought out addition, for sure.
















Pros
  • All the features described above plus....
  • Map scales and rulers printed on baseplate
  • Detachable lanyard
  • Luminescent markings for low light conditions
  • Limited lifetime warranty
Cons
  • A little pricey if you don't want all the features 
  • Slightly heavier than a standard baseplate compass without mirror

As someone who spends a great deal of his life in the woods, on the water and out of cell phone range, I can tell you without a doubt that I depend on this compass frequently. I like to know where I'm at and where I'm going, and I don't like to mess around getting there. It helps me put clients on untouched (blueline) waters and it helps me when I'm planning extended hiking trips from the comfort of my desk at home. Regardless of the situation, when I need a compass this is the one I reach for.

Let me know what compass you prefer, and why, in the comments section. Thanks for reading and be safe out there.

                                                                                                                                           Steve


















No comments:

Post a Comment